The advent of technology has been a boon to a lot of industries and sectors. One of them is education. There was a time when education didn’t have many dependencies on technology, but that is not the case these days. Even primary students need technology for their education. In the following paragraphs, let’s get to know the importance of technology in the education and learning process.
Technology is the necessary evil
Technology is considered a distraction by people worldwide. Hence, there are many restrictions placed by parents on children concerning screen time. Technology in learning and the educational process is a universally debated topic by educators. There is a misconception that students would get distracted by the electronic gadgets in the classroom, and hence won’t be efficient and effective in the class due to a lack of concentration.
However, nowadays, people have realized that technology and learning have become intertwined together and that separation of them is out of the question. And because of this impractical intertwined nature, technology should be considered a necessary evil that one has to put up with for efficient and effective learning.
The educators, who consider technology to be a bane of the learning process, should start to embrace and use it to their advantage than just tolerate it. Technology makes a lot of work to be done promptly and without any errors. Since manual intervention is minimal, the chances of mistakes are less.
It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to state that the education system has become more accurate and precise with the help of technology than it used to be earlier. Educators should start using application software, tools, and digital devices to enhance the student learning experience.
These software and tools can help students to be more creative and innovative. They can also help in collaborating with students across the globe. With the help of proper tools, software, and guidance, this distraction can be converted into an efficient and effective teaching tool.
Converting the bane into a boon
The usage of technology by students without any guidance or proper instructions won’t lead to an enhanced learning experience. Rather, it will only be a disadvantage to the learning process. Technology in the learning process without proper guidance and instruction is like a wayward ship approaching the land without a lighthouse; this is a recipe for disaster and inconvenience. The educator is the guide for using technology in the learning process, and the purpose is nothing but learning.
Just like all other innovations that have benefits and risks attached to them, technology, too, comes with its own pros and cons. Technology usage in the learning process has many well-known risks, making many people overlook the benefits it offers. So, it is a must for people to know when technology is a benefit or a risk.
When properly understood and implemented, technology can do wonders with regard to education and learning. One of the major things one needs to understand is the risks and benefits of using technology in the learning process.
The following are some things that can and cannot be done while using technology in the learning and educational process.
- Technology can only be used as a tool to enhance students’ learning experience. This is done by using technology for interactions with the students by the educators and amidst the students themselves.
- By using technology for the learning process, one can have access to a varied educational environment, which might otherwise not be available to the person. These varied educational environments may be in advanced classes or classes that use simulation to make the lessons more exciting and intriguing than before.
- The in-person learning experience is something that can be done only by using technology. This is done by properly facilitating and generating the learning processes properly aligned with an in-person learning experience.
- Using technology, it is possible to provide choice, ownership, and agency of learning to the students. In short, technology provides students with a vast scope of areas to pick their specialization and higher studies.
- With the help of technology, it is quite easy for students to learn their courses at their own pace. They can use modern tools to customize the learning process so that the courses can be designed based on the interest and abilities of each student.
- Thanks to the advent of technology, every student has equal access to all learning resources.
- One should not use technology for long periods or extended hours. Sometimes students get the wrong notion that using technology for learning equates to unlimited usage of it. This, in turn, will harm them.
- One should not use technology to alienate or completely remove students from certain learning processes that all their fellow students might have access to. All learning experiences are a must.
- It is mandatory that a teacher, who guides the students in using technology for learning, should be well-versed with all the software’s features and tools. An ineffective guide is as good as no guide at all.
- One mustn’t use technology to automate any learning process without guidance or instructions from their respective educators.
- The educator should not assume that the student would know how to work with the technology, especially when it is used for learning. It is a must for the educator to give basic guidelines and instructions.
Educational technology trends
Trends in educational technology cannot be missed by anyone these days because it has been used worldwide. A lot of these trends are a massive success as well. Some of the educational technology trends are collaborative learning, learning outside the classroom environment, social media in learning, interactivity in the classroom, data management, and analytics, and immersive learning experience through augmented reality and virtual reality. One of the most popular and loved educational trends is gamification, which helps students learn via games.
Everything has a bane and boon to offer, and so does technology in the learning process as well. As a student or a teacher, you must have a complete understanding of all the features of the technology that you are using, so that you get the full benefit of the same.